This ensemble that I recruited my sister to model for all of you, is a mixture of my all time favorite things; florals and oversized knits. I love that it takes a summery and airy dress with a rich flowered print and makes it autumn-appropriate by incorporating a loose cardigan and knee high boots. The whole look feels very bohemian and carefree but still pulled together. I went for an undone-braided look with Grace’s hair, but then topped it off with a knit headband I recently purchased. All-in-all, this is a perfect example of how you can play with textures and colors to create a carefree, dressed-up fall ensemble!
Dress- Urban Outfitters Headband- Ali Kat Cardigan- Urban Outfitters Necklace- BP. Nordstrom Boots- B.o.c Socks- Target
I hope all of you had a fantastic Thanksgiving filled with great food and lots to be thankful for! I spent my Thanksgiving out on my grandparents farm which was the perfect location for a fall themed shoot. The outfit I chose to wear to dinner was a mixture of autumn basics in a minimalist color palette of black and grey. I used a chambray shirt to break things up, but I like how streamlined the colors looked together. The minimalism of hues allowed for room to play with textures like leather (fake of course), knit, and denim. All in all it was a great day filled with many blessings!
Skirt- BP. Nordstrom Shirt- Target Scarf- H&M Tights- Target Socks- Urban Outfitters Shoes- Urban Outfitters Rings- Etsy
Because Thanksgiving is fast approaching this week, I thought it would be beneficial to do a post on what to wear on this festive holiday! On Thanksgiving I like to dress up a little, because my family eats a formal dinner and everything, so I decided to create a dressier Thanksgiving option that includes a skater skirt, cropped sweater, and ankle booties. It’s going to be a cold one this year, so I’d also consider topping everything off with some sort of jacket like the leather-accented one pictured! If you are more casual for Thanksgiving, I made a second more laid-back look. You can never go wrong with a loose striped tee and a pair of olive jeans that really scream fall! Whatever you decide on wearing, I hope you have a fantastic day filled with thanks!
I am a huge believer that autumn and winter are the best times for some fantastic food. First of all, you have Thanksgiving, which is right around the corner, that is a holiday whose food never fails to impress. Then there is Christmas, which is also known for its abundance of fantastic home-cooked meals and loads of sweets. Well, as fall begins to turn to winter, I find myself searching for new autumn recipes for the upcoming holidays, especially when it comes to desserts! So, here are four fantastic recipes I have come across that I think fits the the fall season perfectly:
- Red Velvet Fudge Pie
- Sweet Chai Tea Latte
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Fudge
I feel like every fall and winter I have this extreme urge to cut my hair short. I’m not sure if it’s because I just feel like I need a change or if my hair just feels too weighed down, but I know I’m not the only one out there who has frequently considered going shoulder-length with their hair. Short hair does have some major benefits:
- Easier to manage
- Gives hair more volume during those dull winter months
- Keeps hair healthier, because cold weather tends to really dry out hair
- It’s an awesome and simple way to change up your look
Those, along with many other reasons, are the ideology behind the major crops that celebrities like Jessica Alba are sporting. So, if you are feeling the need to shake up your style and add oomph to flat hair this winter, consider taking the chop! Above are some of my favorite ways to style shorter hair and inspirations that may dare you to take the plunge.
A few days ago I did a post on some of my favorite current puffer vests for the season. Well, I decided to do a follow-up post on different ways you can sport the puffer vest. Luckily for all of you, this trend is super simple to incorporate into your wardrobe, because it is an outwear piece, meaning it can go with practically anything. Also, you can decide if you want to wear your vest purely as a jacket or if you want it as an actual part of your outfit. Some of my favorite ways to wear puffer vests is with a simple flannel shirt and skinnies or a striped shirt and skirt with a statement necklace peaking out. Here are a few ways that people have styled their own puffer vests:
I haven’t done an outfit redo post in awhile, so I decided to do one that incorporated one of my favorite new trends for autumn outerwear: leather-accented jackets! I love how this type of jacket is a tougher take on the femininity of an olive jacket or trench coat, plus some unexpected texture is just what an outfit needs to add some edge. I also like how this ensemble pictured is a subtle take on a black monotone color scheme, because it shows how you can wear all dark colors, but still make it feel fresh with a sparkling necklace and gold accented accessories. All in all, this outfit takes simplicity and adds a modern edge with leather and black.
***Jacket can be found at Forever 21!
Anonymous asked you:
Hi Emma, I’m really loving layering this season but I’m running out of ideas, can you show me different ways to layer without looking repetitive?
When it comes to layering, the sky’s the limit on what you can and cannot layer. There are so many unique and trendy ways to put together pieces for the colder seasons that can make outfits feel fresh instead of repetitive. Down below, there are a few layering inspirations that will hopefully help you to develop more ways to layer pieces this season!
- Chunky Sweater + Chiffon Dress + Big Belt- The belt helps give the sweater a little more shape so that it isn’t too overwhelming compared to the delicate dress
- Oversized Sweater + Denim Vest + Leggings- Denim vests are not only for summery seasons. It look just as great layered with fall basics like a cozy sweater
- Collared Shirt + Crewneck Sweatshirt + Statement Necklace- A sparkling necklace peaking out from under a button-up’s collar adds some glamour
- Leather Skirt + Loose-knit Sweater + Flannel Shirt- Mixing textures like leather, knit, and flannel is the key to mixing up layering
- Chambray Shirt + Military Jacket- To spice up something as basic as a denim shirt, a detailed utility jacket is the way to go
- Two Button-Ups + Leather Jacket + Skinny Jeans- The two button-ups layered feels very fashion-forward, but the leather jacket and jeans helps to par things down
A huge comeback trend for outerwear this fall season is the classic puffer vest. I love how, instead of sporting a full-on jacket, the puffer vest keeps you warm while still showcasing your outfit. It is the perfect layering piece to throw on for these awkward transition months, and they are so versatile. Plus, there is a huge range of colors and styles out there to choose from. I will be doing some more upcoming posts on how to wear puffer vests, but for now I have gathered together six different puffer vests from some of my favorite stores to purchase them at:
- American Eagle- They are now all on sale online!
- J Crew- I love that this vest is flat enough that it can serve as a part of your outfit all day
- Target- Some great classic styles and colors for a really affordable price
- Roxy- I just love the unique floral print on the shoulders to bring in some pattern
- Old Navy for Athletica- They have cozily lined vests in fun, vibrant colors
- The North Face- It combines quality vests with punchy hues that make a statement in a subtle way
Anonymous asked you:
I really love gossip girl and I want to dress like them, not necessarily meaning preppy, but high end. What are some labels that are pretty affordable, versatile, and will last a long time?
Let me start by saying that Gossip Girl is a huge fashion inspiration in my own life as well, so I can totally see why you want to take style cues from them! I think that many girls nowadays struggle with finding a balance between wanting quality, high-end clothing, but still finding it at a low-budget cost. I pay for most of the clothes I wear, and I think that coming from someone with her own tight budget, I’m always on the lookout for places whose clothes are long-lasting, yet affordable. I have come across a few stores over the years that meet these requirements. They all contain different price points, so hopefully at least one will meet your your personal spending range!
- Francesca’s- Feminine and quirky with price ranges usually from $30-$60 as well as a sale rack
- H&M- This one can be tricky, because some of their clothes are higher-end, but some fall more in the Forever 21 category, so you have to be careful!
- Madewell- Madewell is a tad more pricey, but their clothes truly are quality and they have some of the best denim and layering pieces around!
- JCrew- Your one-stop-shop place for finding basics that are updated and hip, jewelry that stands out, and basics that will last forever
- Anthropology- Full-price their clothing can get very expensive, but they have a fantastic sale rack that you can score well-constructed garments at half the price
- Free People- Again, this can get expensive, but nothing beats their sale rack for finding stunning dresses under $50 and fantastic shorts!
- Roxy- I have had pieces from this iconic California brand since middle school, so nothing beats their quality, especially when it comes to sundresses
A snapshot from one of my favorite Gossip Girl episodes of all time:
Happy Halloween everyone! As you have probably noticed I’ve been taking a break from blogging this week due to major amounts of school work, but I will be back to my regular schedule by Sunday! I hope you all have a fantastic rest of your week, XOXO Emma
I originally wore this uniquely versatile dress to my birthday party not too long ago in September, and I decided to break it out again for my sister’s confirmation party! I feel like girls struggle with making summer dresses work for autumn, but really it’s quite simple if you add warm layers, dark accessories, and proper footwear. Tights also would have worked, but I love how ankle socks look scrunched down with wedged booties! A basic black cardigan is the perfect base for the oxblood hued infinity scarf that I added to bring in some autumnal color. This just goes to show you how even the most statement of dresses can look completely different and warm-weather appropriate!
Dress- Urban Outfitters Wedges- Mia Socks- Free People Sweater- Target Scarf- BP. Nordstrom Bracelet- Ali Kat